Truth for the Times
Daily Devotions With Calvary Vista Pastors
“The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe.” Proverbs 18:10
God provides a wonderful and strong defense in His name. He is not only our tower, but our strong tower. This is the only place in Proverbs where “the name of the Lord” is found. He is our strong tower, He is merciful, gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth. (Exodus 34:7) We run to Him and are safe. In the uncertainties of today’s world, finding that safe place in the Lord is as important as ever. God invites us all to find shelter in His name.
Purpose of a Tower
- The purpose of the tower was for protection. It was part of the cities defensive system. On Sunday nights our men’s group is just about ready to start a new study through the book of Joshua. I love Joshua 1:9: (God speaking to Joshua) “Have I not commanded you, be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid nor distressed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- The purpose of the tower was strategically placed safety. Isaiah 58:12: “For you shall not go out in haste, nor go by flight. For the Lord will go before you and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.”
- The purpose of the tower was for the outlook to see who’s coming. Chronicles 16:9: “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole Earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.”
- The purpose of the tower was to have advantage point to fight the enemy from. Romans 8:31: “What than shall we say to these things? If God is for us who can be against us?”
- The purpose of the tower was a place of refuge (shelter). Kind of like a bomb shelter. It was a place of safety during attacks. Psalm 46:1: “God is our strength, a present help in time of trouble.
Life Application Questions
- What is your “high tower” in life?”
- With all the uncertainties of life, where do you find your “safe place?”
- Is there anything in your life that is preventing you from running to the safe place of your High Tower? If so, confess that sin and freely enter in to the safe place of God’s love and grace.